Arty-Forty

Monday 4 April 2011

February Birthday catch-up - Photography

Welcome to the latest in my edition of birthday expreience catch-up blogs. February's birthday experience was a day of photography tuition with Philip Dunn over in Kirkcudbright.
We drove down on the Friday evening and stayed at a lovely B & B called Fludha - bizarrely enough the house used to be owned by friends of ours (Charles and Sarah) when they used to live in Kirkcudbright over 10 years ago. The owners were very friendly and we were very well looked after.
After a good night's sleep we headed a couple of doors down to the home of Philip and his wife, Norene who would look after us for the whole day.
I can't believe how much I learned in just one day!! We started off with theory behind photography, and Philip explained everything in such a straightforward way that even I could begin to understand f-stops, apertures, exposure, ISO settings. He taught us about using light correctly in our pictures and about using rectangles to frame our pictures. We won't forget the two little monkeys (light and rectangles) who from now on will be sitting on our shoulders reminding us about how to take a good photo.
After a delicious lunch of quiche and salad we headed down to the harbour to try out our new found knowledge and for the first time I took pictures purely using manual settings. It was a shame that it was quite a grey, overcast day, but we were definitely delighted with the pictures we took and with how much we learned from Philip. Here are some of my favourite pictures...





Thank you so much to Philip for a great day - this was yet another 10/10 birthday experience.
You can see Philip's blog here.

In linking to Philip's blog I note that Norene has not been well - I'm sure Jonathan would join me in wishing her a speedy recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate your feedback.