Arty-Forty

Tuesday 3 December 2013

chestnuts roasting by an open fire...


Day three on my Kitchen countdown is very simply... roasted chestnuts. It just would not be Christmas without them (though strictly speaking I don't need a recipe for these!!). I very simply prick each chestnut and then pop them in a hot oven for just a few minutes. If you don't prick them then you risk exploding chestnuts decorating the inside of your oven!
I remember my mum making these when I was little - and being allowed a sip of sherry along with them. I perhaps have a little more than a sip these days - but 'just the one'!


When I lived in Hong Kong, one happy memory was buying chestnuts from the street vendors, they were stirred with spades in giant woks containing rocks with sugar thrown in to give them a caramelised flavour. They were the most delicious chestnuts in the world!!
 
When we were in Rome in October this year it was wonderful to see the decorated vendors carts selling enormous roast chestnuts...not cheap at 5 euros a cone - but it didn't stop me buying them!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment - I really appreciate your feedback.